Wednesday, January 29, 2020

VETRAHEIMR INTERVIEW

10-01-2020
STORMWIND FANZINE
VETRAHEIMR INTERVIEW

SW: There we go! Thank you for accepting our interview. Now please tell us about the process from the creating the project to the first recording of Vetraheimr.

V: The first EP I did was mostly to test new ground. Making a project under the name Dungeon Synth was something new to me even if I did that type of music already as a kid in the early 90’s. Writing and recording at home by yourself is also a nice thing as you don’t have to be in a band situation arguing about ideas and planning rehearsals.

SW: You released an album named “The Renegade” and I listened to it couple of times. The first thing I noticed is, it is a dungeon synth album not with only a synth but with also acoustic guitar parts. It even has some beautiful flute melodies which are so charming. Maybe we shouldn’t call this album just as a dungeon synth album. What do you think?

V: I am not very concerned if it is dungeon synth or more. I think it is not necessary to label music except for making people find things easier that share similarities and makes sense to them. It is probably wider than dungeon synth but I have never thought about it. I am only interested in creating melodies and songs. However it is not real acoustic guitars, its acoustic guitar sounds on the keyboard.


SW: You also released a compilation CD which includes the early recordings. This one is different than “The Renegade” album which sounds more dungeon synth. It seems that your creation goes to more brave and new path with the album. Please tell us about your creativity process from first recordings to the Renegade album.

V: The first two EP’s was like I said in the first question merely to test the ground. It just happened to sound like it did because I felt very comfortable to make it sound in the way it is. After that I always have to bring something new to each recording to not just repeat the same thing as I think it would just create a big loop. The interesting thing is to figure out how to evolve and go further with new untested ideas.


SW: What are your influences for creating your music? There is a vanderer or a traveller image on both compilation and first album covers. Probably they are the same person. According to the cover art, could we think that you are that person travelling all around the world and having some inspirations for your music?

V: My choice for cover arts are mostly to symbolize a lonely journey that is not always understood by other people. It symbolize myself and how I experience the world. A lone wolf on a journey seeking. More than that I will not say as it is personal.

SW: Are you in fantasy fiction novels? If yes, which books and writers are your favorites?

V: I am afraid to say that I am not in to fiction or fantasy novels mainly because I can’t focus enough on reading made up stories even though as much as I would like to be able to appreciate that. My imagination is in the music that is open to interpretation.

SW: Do you have connections with any other dungeon synth musicians? Please tell us which musicians are your favorites.

V: I can’t say that I have real connections with other dungeon synth musicians. Just some acquaintances online. As for favorites I in general scroll on bandcamp to find different things to discover. It was Fief that got my interested in making something myself. But then I don’t know if that is really considered pure dungeon synth either but it is not important.


SW: What are your hobbies? I am asking this questions because I want to know if there is a connection between your music and your personal interests.

V: I like movies and to collect them even though I don’t buy much anymore. I used to have 2.000 movies on dvd, blu ray and VHS but got rid of half of it as it took too much space. Aside from that I sometimes like to play some retro games like nintendo and sega to unwind. I also like spirituality and meditation. I lift weights regularly too as I like strength training and have done so since I was 15 years old.

SW: After releasing “The Renegade” you also released a digital album named “Unchained” Will we have a hard copy of this release as CD or LP?

V: I am speaking right now to someone that has offered to release it on CD but unfortunately it will be released later this year but it is coming.

SW: Now please tell us about “Unchained” Where are the stories of the album coming from?

V: With “Unchained” I wanted to go more epic and include more diversity in the songs and bring in some electronic music vibes that merge with the acoustic sounds. I am very happy with the result and feel that it is a powerful beast. The meaning of the album is that the beast is unleashed. As for the stories, song by song I want the listener to imagine their own fantasies and for them to experience it in their own unique way.

SW: These are our questions mate. Thanks again for answering. Any last words?

V: Thank you very much for interview and your interest in my music.

https://www.facebook.com/vetraheimr/
https://vetraheimr.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment